This position is located in Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), Surface Forces Logistics Center (SFLC), Icebreaker, Buoy, Construction Tender Product Line (IBCTPL), Engineering and Projects Branch, Systems and Equipment Section 1, in Alameda, California.Learn more about this agency
You will serve as a professional mechanical engineer responsible for the preparation of preliminary and finalized design drawings for the alteration, installation, repair and maintenance of varied and complex mechanical systems particular to Coast Guard vessels under the jurisdiction of the Product Line. These systems include propulsion systems utilizing gas turbines and marine diesel engines, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, piping for fuel oil, water and sewage and pneumatics and hydraulics.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team.
Typical work assignments include:
- Developing, analyzing and reviewing designs and projects for a variety of complex mechanical systems or components on marine vessels.
- Conducting feasibility studies, developing designs for equipment, materials and methods of retrofit or installation, and developing cost and time estimates for designs and projects.
- Performing ship checks on Coast Guard cutters to obtain data for study, design and review and to ensure compliance with design and specifications.
- Directing and coordinating the preparation, accomplishment, and finalization of engineering technical contract documents.
- Providing technical information, support, advice and guidance to field units, other SFLC Divisions, other CG units and private industry representatives.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel in performance of duties may be necessary.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589336300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.